Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns








Ok, so i'm very late with this review as this album is two years old.  


In 2008, The Rural Alberta Advantage were relatively unknown outside of their hometown of Toronto.  Through blogs, self promotion, an independant release and fiery live shows they grew in stature, and recognition.  Blogs and e-music sites were picking up on the buzz and the hype, and the band continuously received glowing reviews of their live act and album.  It has to be said that like any decent artist, listening to them in your headphones is not even comparable to seeing and feeling the intensity of the live show (Note: after rocking Osheaga and SxSW this year, I just read that they will be playing at the Olympics.  It seems they've grown bigger than I had imagined.).  A few months ago, the band signed with Saddle Creek Records, and the company re-issued the album a short while back, giving it a proper release.  It therefore retains the top spot on this year's list.  (Yes I made a list last year.  In my head.  And it was number one.)


The album is fantastic the whole way through, with every track standing up up to the next one, never faltering.  It contains great lyrics detailing small city life, heartbreak, and homesickness written by Alberta native singer/songwriter Nils Edenloff.  But the star of this band, is Paul Banwatt who delivers intricate beats, pounding the skins with incredible skills. Nay, dare I say; Fucking crazy awesome drumming.  Considering it's a trio, with little else than an acoustic guitar, a synthesizer or two, and various percussion instruments (Both played by Amy Cole, the third member, who also provides back-up vocals),  it's clear the drums take up a lot of room.


Maybe I haven't said enough, but if I said more, it would be additional praises, which would be too much.  But that's because I can't find anything bad about the band, the album or the live show.  I still listen to a track or two every day.


Rating 9.5/10 (Honestly, I don't feel my review did the album justice, but there it is.... a 9.5)


Videos:
Don't Haunt This Place (Live) (About breaking up, and living in an empty apartment amongst the rubble of the relationship)
Frank, AB (What the song is about... strange subject)
Edmonton (Studio Session)
Drain The Blood (Studio Session)


Oh and... Check out who's #1 on this list. -- Hottest Bands In Canada

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic album, awesome show at The Cove ! Wanna go to the olympics ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya well being broke doesn't help. My mind's been elsewhere really. But nmow that I work in montreal again, I should be back on the ball for shit like this.

    ReplyDelete